When in Rome twice

Perhaps you read my other post about being in Rome, perhaps not. But this year I had the chance to visit that beautiful city once again.

Being there with my Latin class I obviously did not have a choice of doing something else while the rest of my mates visit the Colosseum, Forum Romanum and St. Peter's Basilica, however I had the chance to see some things that I hadn't seen the year before. So here is my updated more or less must see list when in Rome:


  • Colloseum (seriously - that's obvious I hope)

  • Forum Romanum 
The Forum is not necessarily a place you'd want to visit twice in a short interval as nothing changes (funnily enough) so once will do fine. The second time though we had a tour with an elderly lady which wasn't bad but due to the overload of names and facts nothing stuck. No need to get tickets in advance.


  • Villa Borghese
Worth a visit, I'd say. Here you can find a few famous sculptures by Bernini - David, Apollo and Daphne and Pluto and Proserpina. Be sure to book your tickets though because the first time we were there we didn't get in because it was so full.


  • The Spanish Steps
The first time I was there I couldn't see them unfortunately but this year I could see them in their full glory. Be sure to check out the




  • Via del Corso
while your there. If you like shopping then this street and the side streets are for you. From chains to unique boutiques to high end designers you'll find something to shop to your heart's content.

  • Fontana di Trevi (mark my fancy Italian skills)
This fountain is beautifully lit up at night so you might want to go there when the sun is down but be prepared for hordes of tourists.


  • San Sebastian catacombs
Not a place for claustrophobics but also not for people who are keen to see bones and skulls as they have all been taken away. The 30 minute guided tour was more a recital than anything else but it was quite fun seeing the "other side" of Rome. 

  • St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums
The St. Peter's Basilica is definitely a place you'd want to pop in when you're there as it's free and you have the chance to see Rome from the lovely cupola (you do have to pay extra though and it's quite a long way up but so worth it!)
The Vatican Museums were very interesting but check if you want to get a tour or not. The good thing about going there without one is that you can choose your own pace. But of course you'll learn some intriguing facts about your surroundings.


  • Musei Capitolini
Sculptures, Paintings - the usual but interesting nevertheless.

  • Piazza di Navona
A lovely Piazza with lovely fountains.


  • The Pantheon
You won't spend hours here but you might want to pop in because the copula is impressive (and it's free).


  • Il castel di St Angelo
To be honest, this is not a castle I'd recommend unless you're really passionate about armour and more paintings but you might want to visit the Villa Borghese or the Vatican Museums. The Angel bridge leading to the castle is lovely though.





  • and the best for last: Della Palma 
The absolute best ice cream in Rome! This is a personal opinion but seriously - 150 flavours!
Black passion, straciatella, mint chocolate, chocolate amaretto, kit kat, all kinds of fruits ... I could go on and on and on!!
close to the Pantheon
Arrivederci, little biscuits *huge blob of ice cream on my nose*

(to read the post about my first visit click here)

Comments

Popular Posts