When in Amsterdam

A golden October in Amsterdam

As Amsterdam was quite high on my list of places I'd love to visit last year's christmas present was chosen wisely. (thank you mum)

I don't think I'll be able to express my feelings and do them justice in this post but I thought I'd try at least. And anyway, there are always pictures if words cannot speak.

Short summary:
when we went: middle of October which seemed to be a good time - it was busy but not too packed and the colourful leaves on the trees enhanced many many pictures. However, I'd also would have liked to see the tulips in spring.
how long we stayed: about three and half days which was also a good period of time - I wouldn't have minded to stay a day or two longer though!
where we stayed: Motel One - a very pleasant stay - great breakfast buffet, nice interior design, fairly spacious room and apparently economically friendly!

So here is a list of places we went:
  • Albert Cuypmarkt (Unfortunately, I don't have a picture because the weather really wasn't that great and wouldn't have done it justice.)
  • The Rijksmusem (an absolute must see!)

The Milk Maid - Johannes Vermeer

The Nightwatch - Rembrandt van Rijn

  • The Vincent Van Gogh museum (also an absolute must see!)
A self portrait (in the Rijksmuseum because you weren't allowed to take pictures in this museum)

  • Gassan diamonds (the cutting, polishing of diamonds - you get a free tour and it only lasts for about half an hour/an hour so you might want to check it out
  • De negen straatjes (The Nine Streets - a lovely neighbourhood with lovely shops)
  • Anne Frank House (I don't think I have to explain it. However I was a little bit disappointed - the book case was obviously impressive but all of the original furniture was taken out and not returned.)
  • Waiting in the queue for the Anne Frank House

  • De pijp (also a lovely neighbourhood where you can find the Albert Cuypmarkt)
  • A boat trip (is definitely worth it - we went with Lovers Canal Cruise - a good choice - the guide was very funny and we met a lovely American couple)
  • Venster 33  (a beautiful little cafĂ© I'd love to go back to)


And here are some random pictures to enjoy because the most fun you'll have is probably when you just take a walk through the city without a plan and map and maybe you'll discover some hidden treasures. 











Comments

Popular Posts