So do you speak English at home?

Last year I met many new people in my year due to the course system replacing the sit-in-the-same-class-for-every-single-subject-system.
If I talk to people a little more often, at some point the topic of my roots always comes up as it is something I can brag wonderfully about (just kidding, more or less).
It so came that I was asked "So do you speak English at home?" to which I replied "Of course" and internally rolling my eyes at such stupidity because why on earth shouldn't I be speaking English if that's my father's first language?
But then I thought why am I surprised? There are probably countless families in which that is not the case. Naturally, this can be due to many different reasons and factors but if you had the choice - what would you choose?
The life in which you learn one language which makes it easier to choose which language to speak at the dinner table? The life in which you learn languages at the same time as your classmates. Not being abused as a dictionary (don't worry that's a joke).
Or would you choose the life in which you can switch? Where you go on holidays to see your family and are able to talk to them [in their language]? Where people are envious of your abilities but like you despite and for it.
So to put it into a nutshell: embrace it. Embrace your choices if you have them or decide to learn another language, be it because you like the culture, want to go to the country more often, generally love learning new things or like to brag about it and it looks better on the CV.
It's worth it.

Au revoir, little biscuits *waving lots of different flags*

Comments

Popular Posts