Why you should ... watch Ted talks

Don't we all love feeling intelligent and sophisticated?

I mean at least I know I do. Whenever I have an argument I love bringing out that last newspaper article I read, that study or statistic or book.

Thing is, our time is so limited and there are so many, many (many!) distractions. If I have the option to get a good and precise summary of something that I'm interested in but just don't have the time to read up on properly, I will choose the summary. Platforms such as youtube or Vimeo or even videos on Instagram or Snapchat are clear indicators of the success of videos. It's way less effort to just watch a ten-minute video instead of reading a book because let's be honest we're all multitasking anyway so I can still be on my phone while somebody feeds me information. (Just to be clear I love reading and I think it's super important.)

So if you're really interested in a topic, be it technology, feminism, marine biology, politics, history, language, business ... I could go on and on and on I think Ted Talks are a great starting point to get more interested in a subject, especially since it's not a lesson. It's not preachy, it's not somebody trying to convince you that they're better than you. These are people that were inspired, had an idea and were probably inspired by other people and now hopefully want to inspire you or maybe just show you things from a different standpoint or something you never thought about before.

So why not give it a try? You might learn something new.

To start, here are some of my favourites (but it's a long list so this is only the shortlisted ones):

The Mothers who found forgiveness, friendship

Happy Maps 

How reliable is your memory?

Why gender equality is good for everyone - men included

How I accidentally changed the ways movies get made

Why people believe weird things

Do schools kill creativity?


Happy Tedlistening!

Comments

Popular Posts